Being a Foster Parent Improved My: Teamwork

Parenting in general is rewarding. Shaping the future, teaching, molding amazing human beings- it's good stuff. Foster Parenting is similar but sometimes the rewards come in unexpected ways.

For instance, teamwork. As a Foster Parent you are automatically on a new team. And you don't get to pick your teammates. And often while on that team, 1/2 the people sees things one way and the others sees things differently. And the way the system is built some have more say than others.

Sometimes it's really hard to be the Foster Parent on a team of people. You are the one carrying the majority of the work and have the least amount of say. And learning to navigate this improves your ability to work on a team. For me, this has been an asset as it has allowed me to learn new skills that have helped me at work and with my family.

I can divide and conquer projects like never before. I have learned to listen to all sides and I have also learned to pick my battles. I have learned to make better use of resources. I've also learned to diffuse situations by reminding people what the focus of the task we are working on is. I've also learned to bite my lip as often the person I think has the worst idea or strategy in the group will reveal themselves.

I've also learned to forgive teammates. I'd want the slate wiped clean for myself sometimes. This is important in Foster Parenting because often you are stuck with people that irritate you. Somethings are not worth hanging on to. The caseworker and I had such a conversation tonight. I told her she's not being supportive or concerned about the kids and she shared that she's overwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...