When Failure Makes the News

The following watchdog article was posted in the Chicago Tribune this past Sunday Fatal Flaws.

It is an investigative article on how DCFS failed properly intervene in the deaths of at least 8 children.  I cried as I read the article. Discussion of how investigators found claims unfounded.  How time after time people in positions of power told those who questioned that everything was fine or checked out.

I will say that I don't think our caseworker has falsified any information or acted negligently. However, the system HAS failed my kids. It hasn't protected them from further abuse or harm. The length of time in care is entirely too long. Everyone is fatigued. By the number of providers, appointments, people, issues.....So now the approach is push it until it works or it breaks. Which still isn't the best way to go about things but no one wants to continue on in this manner for the next 5 years.

My biggest fear is that these kids will go home and I will read about them in the news.  The only thing they have going for them is that they are older and so more than likely will survive any additional harm or at least be able to tell someone about it.  But not for one second do I believe that if they return home - they will remain safe. The stressors are still their. Their needs are higher. Just by virtue of their age they are louder.

As I made dinner tonight I pondered the noise level.  I must have heard "Mom" at least 100 times.  I cherished the laughter and the squeals of silly as I know they can be fleeting.  And I paused to think "am I trying to take this away from her?" And I came back with the answer that I was trying to keep it for them.

Please pray with me that they safe in the coming weeks and months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...