Organic Fruit Collective

So about 2 months ago my husband decided we needed to start eating healthier. We had been doing Weight Watchers and he was trying to think of ways to make healthy choices easier. Enter the Organic fruit and vegetable collective. The conversation went something like this:

Him: So and so at work does it. Every week get they get a box of organic fruit.
Me:That's nice for them.
Him: Organic would be healthier.
Me: And more expensive.
Him:Yeah but if its healthy it could be worth it.
Me: I'm not driving 3 towns over and picking it up.
Him: Its no big deal.
Me: Good then you can go every Saturday to pick it up. Is there a commitment? Can we stop it at any time? What happens if we go out of town?
Him: I'll find out.

So in his true analytic style he researched. Asked questions.  No commitment. Each week they send out an email with a list of what is in the box. There are different size boxes. We could get vegetables too.You can say yeah or nay.  I said we'll try it.

So the first week we get a small box. We ate it in 2 days. Oranges, apples, kiwi, and mango. The next week we get the large box. Oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, avocado, lemons. So then we figure out (OKAY..Hubby figures out) that for $3 more we can get 2 of the small boxes and more quantity.

So for the last few weeks we've been chowing down on beautiful, fresh organic fruit. The kids love apples and oranges. We've discovered that Mr. Mohawk and Gabby like grapefruit (yuck) and that they all enjoy kiwi fruit and blueberries.  The last 2 weeks we got 6 lbs of pears and 6 lemons each week so that presented a challenge of what to do with them. We've had fresh home made guacamole and fruit salad.  As the box has come with both avocado and mangoes I've made my favorite salsa. 2 Mangoes, 2 Red Peppers, 1 Tomato, 1/2 red onion, and 1-2 avocados some salt and lemon juice.  Fresh citrus salsa perfect as a topping to tacos, chicken, fish, or tortilla chips.  Here below is a picture (sans avocado as ours were not ripe enough). I love this so much I eat it without the chips!

Fun Fact: That bowl is a berry bowl that belonged to my Great Grandmother. The dishes came with her first furniture set she bought in the 1920s.  My Grandmother had them in her antique booth and they didn't sell.  When Hubby and I moved in and we had no dishes she asked me if I would use them.  We use them every day and they are the perfect size for snacks.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...