Looking Back



I heard the song "Seasons of Love" today.  It made me think about all that has transpired in the last year.  We pointed out to Gabby this weekend that next month she will have live here a year.  (After an argument she thought we were going to call her caseworker and have her moved.) I found this post that I wrote the first time we spent any real time with all 4 kids. 

So how would I measure our lives since that post? 525,600 Minutes. A year in our lives...

In toilet paper, number of laughs, number of tears, bed time stories.  In visits, tantrums, anger and fear.  In homework, in baskets of laundry. In 525,600 missing matching socks. In vacations and Mickey Mouse Ice Cream bars.  In turns on roller coasters. In time outs. In inside jokes and silly questions. In showers and towels on the floor. In hugs and kisses and in love. Definitely in LOVE.
We have become 6 people in love. We've begun to measure our life by it.  Good days are days we are feeling love.  Bad days are days we aren't so sure.  And its hard sometimes wrapped up in the 525,600 moments to work on fostering the love.  It gets really tough when the threat of having that love moved gets remembered but we are doing the best we can. I read a question on a forum a little while ago.  It was something to the effect of is it possible to love older children in foster care.

Absolutely, unequivocally - YES.

1 comment:

  1. I started reading your blog this weekend. I have now finished reading the whole thing, all the previous posts.

    I love your story. I love your family. You guys rock.

    Signed,
    A new-ish foster momma

    PS- I decided I was going to write even BEFORE I saw the previous post!! Much blog love here in N.Y.

    ReplyDelete

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...