Fair Warning, I'm Totally Blogging This Conversation

So my Mom is having trouble with all the change. She loves the kids dearly. From the moment she first saw their picture she was hooked. Her heart is breaking because she is loosing them and because she is watching her own daughter's heart break too.

I call my Mom nearly every day. Usually, from the car. Tuesday was no different except I hadn't talked to her since Friday. I was lamenting that I'm tired of being angry and tired of yelling at the kids for their misbehavior because really its not their "fault". It is their choice but if I were them I'd be acting the same way. And heck, I probably am to some degree.

So she was telling me that I needed to find another way to let go of the stress.

"Maybe you need to take up smoking!?"

An then she kept talking.

"Mom, wait. Did you just tell me to start smoking? Was that actually your advice?" I said in disbelief.

And then I cracked up. Because boy do I love my mother. Sometimes the things that come out of her mouth astound me. And while I think she was 1/2 serious (she is a past smoker and turned to it in times of stress, I've never smoked anything, ever) she said, "well, at least I made you laugh".

"Mom, fair warning. I'm totally blogging this conversation. I can't believe that of all the pearls of wisdom you've given me over the years, we've resorted smoking in this situation."

1 comment:

  1. Ha, that's great. I love when moms know just the perfect thing to say (or, maybe they don't know, but once it has been said... it's just perfect). I'm glad she was able to help you laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...