Therapeutic Parenting

So since the kids have been here so long sometimes I forget that healing is active and sometimes it takes work. It's been a while since I really needed to pull out my therapeutic parenting tools on More than one kid in the same hour. (usually they take turns.) Maybe it's the snow. Maybe it's the fact that therapy got cancelled tonight. Maybe it's family therapy tomorrow I don't know but all the kids were wacked out.

LM was just quiet. Although in an odd moment of kindness she did the dishes for JB. I was surprised but I think she wanted to be near me while I was making dinner. Something is up there but I'm not sure what it is.

Gabby came home upset. She was complaining about her sisters and brother and just couldn't keep it together. Hubby did a nice job of taking her aside and giving her a chance to talk. She couldn't identify what was making her cry- just a bad day. We asked how we could help. She didn't know. Hubby suggested a shower "to wash away the day" and she did just that. By the time dinner was ready she was back to her old chatty self.

Jelly Bean was working hard to get some attention. Interrupting Hubby and I talking behind closed doors, leaving notes on scrapbook paper. Wanting to read to me. So I took her aside and told her I understood she needed some time with me. Reminded her that all she had to do was ask.

I think we are starting to see the fear coming through. Visits are unsafe and there is a big unknown of if and when for going home. We took several steps backward and the kids know it. And I won't know what is happening until next week. I just have to remember to stay calm and help them heal and stay regulated as the anxiety comes through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...