When an 8 year old acts like an infant...

Jelly Bean still continued to struggle. Anxiety meds have still not been approved. She woke up this morning with a bad attitude and somewhere between 6:30am and 6:50 decided to hit her sister with a brush (which is unusual as sh never seems to actually use the brush on her HAIR) and then proceeded to battle it out with Hubby in a rousing game of "Melt Down Mania". She told him recently a way to help her when she's tantruming is to mirror her so she can see how out of control she is. I think it's BD and obnoxious but it was a Power Struggle this morning and Hubby and are extremely consistent in our discipline. So she started to wail and scream and he did exactly what she did. 20 minutes later I had had enough and told her her attitude better change getting into the car or it was straight to bed after school.

She was upset because he wanted her to eat breakfast. Now the rule is you have to provide reasonable food and time to eat it. You cannot force the kid to eat. So we provided, gave her time and she chose to not eat. Oh well she'll learn that lesson when she gets hungry.

Then the minute she stepped in her room when we got home tonight the tantrum started. Banging her head against the dresser. I explained the choices stop screaming or go to bed. She calmed a bit then took aim at her little brother and I had to step in. I repeated the choices. Stop screaming or go to bed. And off she went. After 25 minutes and LM coming home in the middle of it I got her to comply with my request to go lay on her bed and scream. After anoth 20 minutes she fell asleep. Apparently waking up terrified that we had left her home alone. Hubby had come home and I had run an errand. When I got home she cried about how scared she was that she was never going to see me Agian and how sorry she was for calling me a loser, a freak, and telling me she hated me.

I gave her a hug and told her I loved her and I hoped next time she'd use her tools and words.

She's just a little girl but when she cries like that it's like an infant who can't be soothed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...