Permanency Hearing

We had a permanency hearing today. The goal remained Termination Pending Determination of Termination of Parental Rights. The judges found no reasonable progress or effort on all of the parents. 

Sheila's attorney tried to make a play at admitting evidence that she was making progress by attending a few therapy sessions (in the last 3 weeks) and keeping suitable housing.

The judge pointed out that she was pregnant as a result of an abusive relationship and that it was clear that whatever services she had completed clearly hadn't set in.

Everything went as expected (bio Dad was a no show but his attorney was there) but it left me angry and frustrated. We should be done.

I want to be done.

The kids deserve to be done.

I was assured that the TPR trial will be  scheduled at the hearing next month and that it should go quick from there.

I'm not holding my breath.

3 comments:

  1. Why is this legal and allowed? I simply do not understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The right to your children is a right taken very seriously. Because Illinois has had some very high profile adoptions overturned (Baby Richard) the process to terminate rights is very thorough. In addition, the county that this case is out of is very small so things move even slower. This judge is actually no longer the juvenile court judge but kept the case since she's had the family for 10 years.

      Delete

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...