We Can Just Get One Of Those Vans

Maria and the Fab Four came to visit us last weekend. The visit was a surprise from Maria for passing her driver's license test. (And if you don't believe people can change read this post here about how upset I was that she drove the kids without a license.) I was so excited for her. I had thrown something in the crock pot so dinner was almost ready when we all arrived.  All the kids were busy checking out the house and all the adults were putting the finishing touches on the dinner.  I love that Maria is comfortable enough to jump in and help. Then we all gathered around the table, all 11 of us and shared a meal.  We laughed and joked and caught up about what was new.

Then Maria started to talk about getting the kids baptized.  She then asked if Herbie and I had been confirmed in the Catholic Church. When we answered yes, she said:

I want to know if you would be willing to be my children's God Parents.  I want someone who will keep them, all four together if something happens to me.

I honestly started to cry. This woman was choosing us to be a part of her children's lives forever. We of course said yes.  It is a serious commitment because unlike our other Godchildren, Maria doesn't have any other family that would take the kids if something happened to her.  This wasn't just a religious request, it was a life planning one.  In our state Godparents have kinship status and have standing to be able to take guardianship of their Godchildren if parents are unable.

As we were going to sleep Hubby asked me where we would put eight children. I said we have a spare bedroom and an office, we would figure it out. 

Then he said: I guess we can always get one of those big vans to drive everyone around....

I never would have pictured that our foster care story would have this chapter.  It makes all of the stress and heartache so worth it.

Aside from being asked to be their Godparents, Gabby also said something really spectacular.  She had a lengthy conversation with Hubby where she told him, he was the only person she considered her father because he's the only one that has ever been there for him.  It was a really special moment. Even when it seems like you aren't making a difference, you really are.
 

1 comment:

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...