Born To Be Wild

So we were at the museum today. Hubby and Grandma had taken the kids earlier in the summer but myself and my Dad were unable to go. We felt the perfect way to end the summer would be a trip back down to the city.

The OmniMax movie playing is Born To Be Wild. It's about two animal rescues that take in orphan elephants and orangutans. The kids loved it the first two times they saw it and wanted me to see it this time.

Just before the movie one of the theater staff asked if anyone had seen an orangutan in real life. Mr. Mohawk raised his hand.

Me: Really? Your sisters didn't raise their hands are you sure?
Him: I was a baby. That was before I had peoples. I was by myself. Now I have peoples and I really like them.
Then he gave me a cheesy smile and a giant hug.


The movie starts out talking about the two women who started their respective rescue organizations. Then the following line was said:

It started with two women each making a promise that they would would care for the orphans only for as long as they needed them to.

Well that was it. Not even 30 seconds into the movie and I was crying.

The rest of the movie was really interesting and touched on the emotional need that the humans fill for the animals. It talked about the trauma the animals go through. Their inability to sleep, eat, and lack of "life" skills.

It was hard not to draw comparisons between what I was seeing on the screen and the four children next to me.

I too, am a woman who made a promise to love and care for children who need me. My status of a foster mom means I'm also making the promise to do so only as long as they need me.

The movie ends with the release of the animals back into the wild. The one woman talking about the mixed emotions she is having. Happy that she's done her job. Sad because the world is a dangerous place and she will no longer be there to protect them.

Yep. Pretty much sums it up. Probably for most mothers, foster or otherwise. But it's still hard. So words of encouragement to those Moms that have watched your children move on to the next stage- kindergarten, junior high, high school, college, marriage, adoptive placements, reunification.... Big hugs from me. Job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...