In the Mother 'Hood

Magically, Monday night I was able to pick up the kids from daycare and get home before 6:30 pm. I ran into our neighbor next door and gave him a heads up - If you see two random children running around they belong to us!

I ran in the house to find two children leaving wet, dirty boots on my wood floors and whining that the other wasn't doing what they were supposed to. I announced we were having spaghetti for dinner and got to work. As I was preparing the meal and the kids were running around with the dog and eachother I smiled at the change our life had taken. Then all Hell broke loose. Seriously it was like a scene from a vacation or spa commercial. The doorbell rang, the dog began barking the kids rushed to the door. I'm wondering outloud who could be at the door as we don't have a peep hole and our doorbell rings maybe 4 times a year unexpectedly excluding Halloween. (Plus its a really wierd door and it opens outward and to the left and hits the person standing on the porch and they have to step back and tehn fall off the step.) It was our neighbor and as I'm trying to catch the 60 pound dog from charging at him and two children are asking me questions - one wanting to know if its Daddy at the door - he is inviting us to a play date. Finally I gave up and told him to please come on in and excuse the mess. To which he says trust me your house is cleaner than ours. Yeah? you haven't seen upstairs. So as we are exchanging numbers and last names (terrible I know but when do you need to know your neighbors last name) the house phone starts to ring and I can hear the water boiling over in the kitchen.

So it didn't surprise me that it wasn't until after dinner an hour later that I realized I hadn't peed since noon. And I made the mistake of telling my family where I was going. My plan to have a few minutes of peace was promptly interuppted 30 seconds later when not 1 but 2 people knocked on the door to tell me where they were going - downstairs to watch TV. One of them was my husband. Now OK I could see if we lived in this great big house that required.. I don't know an elevator or an intercom but we don't. Its a 2 story finished basement condo. If I can't hear you from the 1st floor I know you are in the basement where the only TV besides in my bedroom is located. and you know what? At that point if you had left the house I really didn't care :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...