Mom?

I don’t even know where to begin.

The last week has been a blur. We received a call from a case worker at DCFS asking if we could take a sibling placement.



I didn’t even know our license was completed.




It will be by Monday.





Did I mention Friday was my Grandma’s Birthday? And that my husband and I had happened be together as we were driving 5 hours to the funeral of her brother? And we had happened to stop due to a work issue (thus able to discuss and concentrate on the conversation)? And it was like everything with the Baby Girl made sense.



Sunday we got to meet them at their current foster parents’ home. This family was just awesome and made the transition very successful! As we are the kids' 4th home we were nervous about there being a rough transition.

On Monday the case worker brought our 7 year old daughter and our 3 ½ year old son. Due to confidentiality I can’t disclose their names. I will have to come up with some nicknames. They also have 2 sisters in foster care in another home. We were asked Tuesday if we would consider taking the other 2 and we had to say no at this time.The two we have need lots of help to get on target educationally and developmentally and they need our undivided attention. Plus we don't really have the space in our 2 bedroom, loft home.

I'm sure in a few weeks we will have tantrums and arguing and disobedience but right now we have amazingly well behaved, sweet, polite kids who eat well and sleep well and love ::Gasp:: Baths! I am soaking up every minute of the cute sayings and sweet gestures and the hugs goodbye and the hugs hello. Even our dog is enjoying the honeymoon period. He jumped from his bed to her bed at story time as the kids love to pet him when we read to them.

I've discovered that the kids really like ice cream and it worked as a very good incentive to finish dinner last night.

We are adjusting fairly well. It makes me very angry to learn about what happened to these kids to come in to care and then what has happened to them while in care. I am totally committed to making their time with us as positive and worthwhile as possible. Their next permanancy hearing is in June. The caseworker told me she doesn't think the kids will go home then. That they will probably have another year extension. I guess I'll sleep then :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...