Election Day Soap Box

I'm standing in a line of more than 100 people. I have been in line 20 minutes. I have another 45 minutes to go and only 29% battery left on my phone.

I have opinions. But I don't feel well versed enough about any of the hot bottom political issues for any candidate to spout off about them their campaigns, or the consequences of them being elected.

The issues I do care about though don't make the news. I didn't hear any of the candidates, national or local, make a plea to the overworked foster Mom. I didn't hear anyone talk about the issues my kids and my family face. I'm in a state full of budget cuts. Heard nothing about how DCFS is supposed to do more with less. Heard nothing about how congress and county representatives are going to work for the children in their districts. And I'm not in the same county as my kids case so I can't vote out those who didn't prosecute their Mom.

There is lots I'm sure I should care about. I work in the medical field I'm not sure that either candidate is good for me. I believe the government shouldn't be able to weigh in on my choices with regard to healthcare. I also don't believe them staying out of it makes me pro-anything. But I have respect for those that do.

The mudslinging pisses me off and it got so bad last night that my husband watched DVR and I went to bed. He doesn't vote. It's something we don't discuss much. My parents instilled in me a sense of civic responsibility. And it drives them crazy that I identify most with the other party. But they also taught me to be a free thinker so I'm not sure how they don't understand.

My only hope tonight is that SOMETHING gets accomplished in our state and federal government in the next 4 years. I know programs drag and legislation takes time but should it take so much time?

Us foster and adoptive moms would have everything organized in a year. Seriously with the amount of negotiating, navigating and analyzing we do in a day we could teach congress a thing or two. Some of us are averting crisis every 10 minutes across party lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...