Gabbing with Gabby

Gabby popped up on Facebook today. She posted a picture of herself from when she lived with us. In it, she was wearing her favorite dress from that time. So I commented and she texted to ask if we could video chat. She apologized for barging back into my life - and I was stunned.

She thought I’d be annoyed to hear from her after so much time had passed. She misses me a lot. I confessed I think of her daily and still keep her picture on my desk at work, and around the house. We both cried. I tried to explain that I wanted to respect Maria’s role and space, and how I understand LIttle Mama doesn’t want to be reminded of her time with us. Mr. Mohawk doesn’t remember us, and Jelly Bean can be a little much with all of the other kids around. Everyone is doing well. Which is such a relief, 7 years since we first came into their lives.

I always knew Gabby would excel. And I really see her rising above her circumstances.  She’s getting all As and Bs. She’s playing tennis and made show choir. She’s turned into a beautiful Sophmore with the same bubbly personality. But she’s also always been expressive and she had written a letter to both Hubby and I back around Thanksgiving time.

Hubby’s letter  talked about how he has always been her father figure and the first example of a man not hitting her. She thanked him for showing her how to play tennis and share his love of accounting, which she will be taking next semester.

The letter to me, thanked me for keeping her with her siblings and preventing more moves. For making the most horrible time in her life better. For helping her manage her anxiety and teaching her how to stand up for herself. She thanked me for being an awesome Mom and said that she feels happy for my forever kids because I’m an amazing mother.

Such a gift she gave us. An amazing gift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...