I Blinked

And 10 years went past. This week marks ten years that my husband and I have lived in our house. Well, ten years ago it was his house and I was moving into it against my parents' wishes, but we've both lived here since day one.

We spent that night on the futon in our loft while a thunderstorm raged. I had no idea that time would go by so fast. That was:

1 Dog
2 Air Conditioners
3 College Degrees
4 Foster Kids
5 Cars
6 Jobs
7 Anniversaries
8 Trips to Disney World*
9 Arrangements of Furniture in our living room.
10 Wine Parties

*8th trip schedule for October

Ago.

If you had told my 21 year old self that ten years from then I would still be living here, I'm sure she would have laughed at you. Full of dreams and ambition I'm sure she would have said, "that isn't the plan". 

It's funny how time can change dreams and ambition can become different. 

We've talked a lot about selling this house lately. We had only "planned" to live here 5 years. Sure that some exciting job or higher education would take us elsewhere. As ready as I am to live closer to my parents and work, I'm feeling a little sad today thinking about all we've experienced within this home.

We took MM and JB's bed to storage last night. MM's bed was put in the same spot the futon once occupied. 

Seeing the space empty was hard. When we saw the Fab Four last Saturday we took the rest of their things to them. I have to admit, I tried to delay that process. The longer their stuff was here the more chance there was that they needed me. Ridiculous, I know, but part of my process. 

And now the loft where the futon once was and a twin bed once was- is empty again. I wonder how the next family will use that room. I wonder if it will hold special memories; moments of firsts. 

It will be hard to close this chapter. It will be hard to move on from here. But it's time. Time to move forward. Time to let go. Time to start a new adventure in many ways.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...