In It For The Money

For whatever reason this concept of foster parenting for profit was on my mind tonight. I've never actually done the math to figure out how much "I make" as a foster parent. So I thought I'd calculate and share.

When the baby came to live with us we got an increase. Interestingly, infants have the smallest stipend as Illinois' rates are based on age. Our check for December was $2,225 for the 5 kids.

That equals about $72/day
$72/24 hours = $2.99/hour
$2.99/5 children=$0.60 an hour per child (rounded)

Our adoption attorney told us we probably could have qualified for a specialized (higher) rate for the kids when we were at the height of our issues (and certainly when the Fab Four lived with us).  I didn't even know such a thing existed. She told us it wasn't likely we would qualify now and it would delay the adoption considerably. So PSA - check and see if you have this available to you.

As I mentioned on Facebook the adoption has been delayed (surprise).  Not for any reason other than the one we had went on maternity leave and apparently the centralization of the adoption unit isn't working.  We have a new adoption worker whom I have no last name or contact information for. DCFS is going to have a hard time explaining the delay to the judge at this month's permanency hearing.

I would say it doesn't matter all that much because we are now back on the rollercoaster but I am hoping to take FMLA for 12 weeks over the summer after the adoption and it makes it harder to plan if the adoption doesn't seem to be in sight.  And I really, really need a break.  (Not that being home all summer with the kids is a break, but some time to play is desperately needed.)

1 comment:

  1. Whenever people make a comment about "fostering for the money," I want to roll my eyes and say, "Yes, I do it for the money because I'm INSANE and think $1.25/hour is good pay for getting no sleep and having poop smeared all over my house." And obviously all that money is actually spent on getting the kids' clothes, food, etc. We are always in the negative because 1) we have to replace the stuff our mentally ill children have destroyed, such as doors and walls. 2) we can't resist buying them all the cute little things every time we go to Target. That second one is totally my fault and I take full responsibility for our debt ;)

    ReplyDelete

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...