Permanency

Foster Care Land was a major thorn in my side this week. I had two last minute appointments that I really didn't have time for this week.

They were important meetings and needed to occur. Of course everyone is trying to cram everything in this week so that it gets into the report for court in two weeks. 

The first appointment were with the therapists, GAL, and new case worker to go over the trauma assessment for Stella and Sarah. For two hours we listened about the importance for permanency for these girls. We have official diagnoses of PTSD, Sever Depression, Anxiety, and potential ADHD. There are some major concerns for sexual abuse by a family member and we are right on the edge of Reactive Attachment Disorder. The kids have no connection to their Mom and dissociate when asked directly about her. They have not talked about her spontaneously and won't discuss visits.

It was hard to hear. Not because I'm worried about the work we have to do (although I probably should be). It was hard to hear how much they struggle, daily, and how it goes unnoticed by so many people. They are cute and smart and so many of their issues are overlooked because they appear like outgoing, happy kids. The problem is that the happiness is superficial and the outgoing personalities stem from uninhibited attachment due to multiple caregivers.

So when the case worker then asked us to squeeze her in so we could go over the Permanency Commitment form I couldn't say no. The form puts in writing our willingness to be the adoptive resource for the kids as DCFS starts to take the case to legal screening. If legal screening gives the go ahead they will go for a goal change of adoption. 

Officially, we will be in record as wanting to adopt these kids should the goal change. I'm a little overwhelmed by this new development. I'm having a hard time  believing that we are seriously discussing adopting a set of siblings after four years on this journey. I'm also trying not to get my hopes up in case this changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...