Chicago Blackhawks

It's Stanley Cup Playoff time. And last year it saved my sanity. Last year as I tried to figure out how the heck to move on after losing my kids, we met up after work to drink beer and watch hockey. Okay, I drank whiskey too. I was tucked safely in a bar, now regulars, at a table with my parents and their neighbors and we had something to cheer about. 

I got to yell. It felt good. I got to drink without raised eyebrows. I had something to look forward to. And then they won. Win the Stanley Cup for the second time in my life. 

Hockey was a family event growing up. And it's a family event now. We've been following the team. The kids have team gear. We watch together, with my parents and their neighbors. I got a parenting compliment last week. Do you know where? The sports bar. (And before you start flaming or judging its a neighborhood family friendly place and my kids were working on math workbooks and spelling flash cards in between periods.) The compliment? How much I interact with the kids. How much we cuddle while watching together. How interested the kids are in the sport.

Tonight was an important game for the Blackhawks. We let the kids stay up to watch the rest of the game with us. And there they were, all piled on the couch asking questions, wanting to learn all about this important family sport. 

As much as the Hawks saved my sanity last year, they are building my family's attachment this year. I chuckle as I field questions like: Is everyone in the team friends? Why is the team taking a time out? What did they do? Do the people in St. Louis speak English? 

So a big thank you to the Chicago Blackhawks. Thanks for the family time. Let's keep going! We want the cup. And my kids request overtime as then they get to stay up later. (But Mom doesn't because you guys give me a heart attack when you do!) I don't want the season to end. I love moments like tonight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Overdue Update

Well hello there! It has been years since I've written and published a post and recently I've had the idea that maybe this year was ...